De Rosa Vintage Bicycles
The famous vintage bicycle brand De Rosa was founded in Milan, Italy, by Ugo De Rosa, who was born in 1934. He had a great passion for classic racing bicycles and was an amateur racer himself.
De Rosa's understanding of the cycling industry
De Rosa studied mechanics and engineering at a technical college and in the early 1950s he had his own bike shop in Milan. With a deep understanding of the classic racing bicycles, De Rosa soon built a good reputation among local amateur riders. In 1958 De Rosa's task became more serious: the famous cyclist Raphael Geminiani asked De Rosa to build him a bike for the next Giro d'Italia.
The De Rosa-Merckx partnership
De Rosa's vintage bicycles increased in popularity throughout the 1960s, as more and more teams chose De Rosa bikes. By the end of the 1960s one of the greatest racers of all time, Eddy Merckx, started to use De Rosas frames. In 1973 De Rosa became the official frame builder of the Molteni team where Merckx was the captain.
World Title Success
The Molteni team later achieved more success than was ever imagined. Their achievements include the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Milano-San Remo and the World Championships.De Rosa's classical bicycles also won another Word Championship title in 1976, this time with Franceco Moser from the Filotex team. De Rosa and his family still produce racing bicycles in Cusano Milanino, alongside the research of titan tubes. Though the glory days of the vintage Cusano Milanino bicycle brand De Rosa would be in the 1970s with the Molteni team and Eddy Merckx.